Cognitive Services has opened up the ease of introducing greater intelligence to applications that can take real value from your content. Pulling this together with Office Add-Ins and the SharePoint Framework helps provide users with dynamic integration where they are using it, whether it be Outlook, SharePoint, Microsoft Teams or even the standard Office apps.
Back in November, Kevin McDonnell, Senior Technical Architect at Ballard Chalmers, presented virtually at the Collab 365 Virtual Conference on “Using Cognitive Services to Build an Intelligent Office Add-In”. The video has just been published on the Collab365 website and you can watch it on demand here (registration required).
For anyone interested, below are a some useful links and info related to the presentation.
- All the code is available at: https://github.com/kevmcdonk/YouveGotSentiment
- Azure Cognitive Services: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/cognitive-services
- Build your own Cognitive Services from Azure: https://portal.azure.com/#create/Microsoft.CognitiveServices
- Text analytics: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/azure/cognitive-services/text-analytics/overview
- Creating Outlook add-ins: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/add-ins/addin-tutorial
- Debugging add-ins: https://dev.office.com/docs/add-ins/testing/debug-add-ins-using-f12-developer-tools-on-windows-10
- Andrew Connell’s SPFX course: https://www.voitanos.io/
- Yo Office: https://github.com/OfficeDev/generator-office
- Outlook manifests: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/add-ins/manifests
- Office UI Fabric: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/fabric
- Azure CDN: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/cdn/cdn-overview
- Deploy to Azure: https://www.geekhive.com/buzz/post/2014/09/gulp-js-azure-blob-storage/
- Disabling webpack errors when running locally: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42121991/webpack-disable-hmr
For more details on the topic, read our blog (by Kevin) Cognitive Services – How You Can Add Intelligence to Your Applications.