Microsoft intends to supercharge Azure uptake with the introduction of a new framework – The Microsoft Cloud Adoption Framework (CAF).
It is currently in preview with more announcements expected later this year.
According to Canalys, as of Q1 2019, Microsoft now holds 17% of the cloud infrastructure services market and saw an 82% growth rate in 2018. This is behind only Amazon Web Services who hold 32% of the market share but saw growth of only 47%.
Microsoft has stated that the purpose of CAF is to provide: “One Microsoft voice for cloud adoption, consolidating and sharing best practices from Microsoft employees, partners, and customers”.
They went on to say: “While the cloud offers tremendous flexibility in design choices, enterprises need a proven and consistent methodology for adopting cloud technologies… The Microsoft Cloud Adoption Framework for Azure meets that need, helping guide decisions throughout cloud adoption.”
CAF is Microsoft’s effort to help customers that have dabbled in Azure or are thinking about getting started in Azure to fully dive in and make use of the full advantages that Azure has to offer.
Microsoft has outlined the use of the Cloud Adoption Framework here:
“The cloud adoption framework is designed for pre-sales engagements to uncover customer cloud opportunities and accelerate adoption.
- Demonstrate that achieving benefits from the cloud requires a formal, defined adoption process.
- Highlight a formal approach based on MSIT and our extensive customer engagement experience.
- Alleviate concerns around typical blockers (data governance, security, and cloud brokerage).
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of cloud benefits and why Azure and Microsoft are ideal for their organization.
- Determine cloud adoption goals and desired outcomes for an organization.
- Develop an adoption plan to achieve desired outcomes with clear next steps that can easily be converted into a proposal and SOW.”