Whether the custom software development project is new software development, app modernisation or system integration, our expert project delivery team handles the technical and management functions required to get your project completed successfully on time and in budget.
This differs from consultancy, where an expert consultant is deployed short-term, or team augmentation, where our experts join your in-house team and are managed by you.
In this blog, we provide some insight into the team running our successful custom software development projects.
Custom Software Development Project Delivery Team – Management
Our projects are led technically by Chief Technology Officer – Geoff Ballard, supported by a Senior Technical Architect. As co-founder of Ballard Chalmers, Geoff’s responsibilities include setting company-wide technical direction, ensuring technical delivery quality, procedures and standards, developing new products, and the management of technical staff personal skill sets and certification.
Geoff has authored several training courses for Learning Tree International and some of these courses are still regularly held throughout the world. Geoff holds a BA (Honours) degree in mathematics and an MSc in Database Management Systems; with a track record of over forty years in software development, more than twenty-five of which have been dedicated to Microsoft systems design and development.
Our projects are led administratively by Delivery Manager, Gary Chase supported by our Project Managers. Gary has been project managing for twenty years and his extensive experience providing client-focused, quality solutions across multiple industry sectors with particularly strong experience within financial services means he has both the technical and project management experience required for successfully leading complex custom software development projects.
Our Managing Director and co-founder, Andrew Chalmers, maintains a commercial and internal oversight role over our projects. With thirty-five years in business management, he provides the business-side experience to complement Geoff’s technical expertise. With this, the leadership of Ballard Chalmers remains fully engaged throughout projects to ensure successful outcomes.
Project Delivery Team – Engineers
The development team is selected from our team of expert software engineers based on suitability and availability when the project is ready to start. Our developers and testers are all senior-level staff with a minimum of over ten years of experience.
All of our team are based in the UK, working from our HQ in Sussex. Of course more recently, the whole team are homeworking, connected by Teams and other online collaboration tools.
In conclusion, our team engaged in project delivery is:
- CTO: Overall responsible for the technical delivery of the project, supported by a Senior Consultant as required.
- Delivery Manager: responsible for the delivery as a whole. Supported by a Project Manager who tracks all time spent against budget and will produce a comprehensive weekly report on the status of the project.
- Tech Lead/Lead Developer: leads the team technically, liaises with the users, testers and is responsible for producing the EPICs and the system as a whole technically.
- Senior Engineers: an appropriate number of suitably qualified and very experienced software engineers are assigned to develop the software application.
- Test Engineer: devises tests, supervises developer testing and reports on test results