Azure Active Directory (AAD) has now been rolled out to include SQL Server 2022. That means AAD is now supported for:
- Azure SQL Database
- Azure SQL Managed Instance
- SQL Server on Windows Azure VMs
- Azure Synapse Analytics
- SQL Server 2022
This allows you to store users, groups, service principals, etc as identities and use those for authentication.
Specifically looking at SQL Server 2022 and Azure authentication, the following options are available:
- Azure Active Directory Password
- Azure Active Directory Integrated
- Azure Active Directory Universal with Multi-Factor Authentication
- Azure Active Directory Access Token
It must be noted that to use these everything must be connected with Azure Arc.