- A choice of language and platforms: Build modern applications using any language, both on-premises and in the cloud, on Windows, Linux and Docker containers, and the most consistent on-prem to cloud environment.
- Industry-leading performance: Breakthrough scalability, performance, and availability for mission-critical, intelligent applications and data warehouses.
- Least vulnerable database: Layers of protection, including features such as encryption at rest and in motion. Fewer vulnerabilities mean less patching for you!
- Real-time intelligence: Gain transformative insights for your business with real-time analytics at up to 1 million predictions per second using built-in R and Python, and get end-to-end mobile BI on any platform.
SQL Server is the first commercial database with Advanced Analytics using R and Python built-in. Why does this matter to you? Well, now you can use SQL Server to operationalise your data science models in a secure and performant way; use native T-SQL commands to score data in near real-time; and unlike competitors, mobile BI on every device comes built-in.
A modern data platflorm
There have been some major enhancements to SQL Server 2017 including:
- Graph data support to enable you to find complex relationships between highly interconnected data, such as detecting fraud.
- Built-in R and Python analytics with ML services, for building intelligent applications with deep learning libraries like TensorFlow.
- Native T-SQL scoring, enabling you to use these models against your SQL Server data right from a T-SQL query, for super-fast near real time scoring.
- Adaptive Query Processing and Automatic Plan Correction for more consistent performance with less troubleshooting.
Stretch your data to the cloud
With SQL Server 2017 your organisation has the opportunity to stretch its data from on-premises to the Azure cloud, or a hybrid of both. One benefit of doing this is the potential for significant cost savings, where cloud storage is largely more cost effective than locally mangaging data and storing it on premises. You can also benefit from tools such as Azure Data Services, which has a variety of data management and analytics tools for all your data needs, whether it is structured or unstructured data. Additionally there are cloud data management tools to consider, such as:
- Azure SQL Database: The cloud answer to managing your operational data, with the ability to achieve infinite scale. It is built on SQL Server, so your existing applications and skills transfer, and as a managed database service, it can save you time and money in both set-up and administration.
- Azure Cosmos DB: A database designed for modern mobile and web applications. It is also a database-as-a-service, fully managed by Microsoft Azure. Azure Cosmos DB delivers consistently fast reads and writes, schema flexibility, and the ability to easily scale a database up and down on demand.
- Azure SQL Data Warehouse: The industry’s first enterprise-class cloud data warehouse that can grow, shrink, and pause in seconds. Based on the proven SQL Server relational database engine, it gives petabyte scalability with massive parallel-processing architecture that enables distributed processing to handle the rigors of modern data realities. It independently scales compute and storage in seconds and works seamlessly with Power BI, Azure Machine Learning, HDInsight, and Azure Data Factory.
- Azure Data Lake: Offers data management and analytics at scale to customers, as Azure Data Lake. It is composed of three parts: Azure Data Lake Store, Azure Data Lake Analytics, and HD Insight. Together with these products, you can store big data of any size and type, and analyze it with familiar open-source tools – all while getting a leading, enterprise-class SLA.
SQL Server 2017 Editions
SQL Server 2017 is available in Standard, Enterprise, Express and Developer editions.
Partner with the SQL Server experts
At Ballard Chalmers we know SQL Server inside out and have delivered countless migrations over a 30 year period. Our SQL Server team has earned a solid reputation and is helmed by our Chief Technical Officer, Geoff Ballard who has been consultant in this technology since the very first beta release. We will assess your current environment, review architectural considerations, and create a detailed migration plan for you.
Contact us to discuss your SQL Server upgrade today.